Friday 30 August 2013

Keep Portland Weird



I got back a few days ago from a wonderful long weekend visiting my best friend and platonic soul mate Brodie! She's super gorgeous, super kind - and a super talented illustrator. Check out her work here: CLICKITY I went with my arty boyfriend James (who still hasn't made a blog, tsk) which was lovelovelovely because I've barely seen him since we've been back home from uni. 

Portland was really gorgeous and I'm so glad I saved up to go! I can't wait to come back.






We arrived on Friday and was treated to a tour of the lovely Weymouth. We rode a boat across the harbour ("are we still in Weymouth?") and hunted everywhere for Fanta Ice Lemon - in a can (apparently it's the best, but we couldn't find it anywhere). We headed over to Portland on the bus, trying to peer through the mist to see the peninsula that we'd be exploring for the next few days. 

This isn't Portland. This is Weymouth. Silly. 


We spent the next few days exploring the island and walking gorgeous coastal paths. Brodie took us to a whole bunch of really cool places like the Tout Quarry (where a group of sculptors had left carvings and sculptures to the elements. Apparently it evolves constantly and new carvings are added every few months so it's different every time you visit!), the Mermaid Inn (for fancy cream teas!) and the Cove (a lovely pub with amazing food! I had whitebait & chips - YUM!) 


We swam in the sea! (This is a big deal for me because I'm NOT a strong swimmer.) It was the first time I'd swam in about 6-7 years and I went maybe 50 metres before I was exhausted. We embarrassed Brodie & Greg by screaming at the cold water and falling over into the sea, while the locals stared at us. 




We went back to Weymouth a couple of times. We went for a night out at Lazy Lizard which was really fun as lots of people we knew were there, celebrating the Bank Holiday. I enjoyed hanging out on the beach and getting sand in my shoes. 


The lovely Daisy! 


After a relaxed hangover day, we had a delicious meal out at The Stables. I had a Lamb Roast pizza (lamb, goats cheese, sweet potato - YES) and we tried a whole bunch of different ciders, including the oddly coloured  (cough - and tasting) Chedder. 

Then, we went to a little pub and hung out with Brodie's friends playing drinking games until it got dark and we had to catch a bus home. I fell asleep almost straight away every night - I'm not used to doing so much with my days! 

Our barbecue caught on fire. 



It was such a lovely break away - who says you have to go to another country to have a wonderful holiday? I can see why Brodie talks about her hometown so much, it really was beautiful (especially in the sun). I loved exploring the cliffs and I'd love to come back again!  

James being fancy. 

Herbal tea?

Thanks for reading about my adventures! I had a great time.

THE END, 

Kit ♡


No comments:

Post a Comment